WaveNation

12.05.2006

Jimmy V



I wanted to write about how great of a win by BC basketball capturing the Governor’s cup for the 7th year in a row.
I wanted to talk about how bad the Celtics are, as I watched them get waxed off the floor by the Bulls.
I wanted to rip on the Eagles for going to the Meineke Car Care Bowl to play Navy, whose best win came against UMass.
I wanted to voice my despair in knowing JD Drew and Julio Lugo are going to be wearing sox jerseys next spring, and one of the 10 best right handed hitters of all-time will not.
I wanted whine. Tell you how upset I was at the Conte rink manager for postponing the BC-BU hockey game 10 minutes into the 1st period because of fog on the ice.
My mind was filled with BCS mishaps, Patriots turnovers, and the emergence of the next Tom Brady, The Mr. Tony Romo Simpson.
But sometimes you realize what it is all about. Tonight, as I was flipping through the channels and caught the end of the Cuse-OK State game, part of the Jimmy V Classic. As always, ESPN ran his famous speech from the 1993 Espy Awards. I had probably seen this speech a dozen times, but never really thought about it. Today I am angry about the moves the soxs are making, BC football is going bowling in the gutter, The Celtics probably can’t beat Maryland (girls), BC basketball didn’t beat Vermont… I could go on. But then you realize what is really about, courtesy of Jimmy Valvano, and those other things tend to melt away. We laugh, we think, we cry. We look at where we started, where we are, and where we are going to be.
If you want to listen to the entire speech (minus video), check it out here or here.
If you think about it though, sports are what keep us here, and they provide those things. They can make you laugh, (Brady juking Brian Urlacher last week) they make us think, (Florida or Michigan), and they can make us cry (BC sports).
Sorry for the column, I will be back to Notre Dame bashing later this week, and tell you why you can’t miss this years Meineke Car Care Bowl, unless you don’t feel like wasting your money to watch mediocrity.

Be well folks,

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home